[Sca-cooks] Re: mortars (was grating bread)

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Fri Jan 3 07:09:54 PST 2003

I haven't made one, but I do have a question about the mortar I have.  It's
not really a mortar per se, it's actually a molcajete - the pumice ones for
making salsa.  What I'm wondering is what the best way to clean the thing
is - the instructions say don't use soap, as it gets in the pores of it, but
at the same time the thing was meant to be used for making the same thing
all the time - salsa and related pepper items.  Of course, I want to use
mine for all sorts of things - savory, spicy, grinding almonds, etc.
Obviously if I grind almonds on it it'll never be safe for people who have
nut allergies again, but what I'm worried about is if I do something like
say, garlic sauce, and then i want to grind spices for something sweet -
will there be a flavor transference issue? and if so, how do I avoid it?

Generys