[Sca-cooks] Akims garden question

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 07:47:13 PST 2003

Dear Olwen,
I keep telling you to move to Arizona.  In the Phoenix area, average humidity year around is between 10 and 20 percent.  During our "rainy" season (July to September) we average 2.45 inches of rain.  That's not 2.45 inches a month, that's 2.45 inches for 3 months.  In the rainy season.  In the past 100 years, we've had an accumulation of less than an inch of snow.  (And if you want snow, Flagstaff and the San Francisco Peaks is just a couple of hours to the North.)   The lowest average monthly temperature is 66.9 degrees F.  True, the highest is 105, but it's a dry heat (local humor.)
There are a little over 5 million people in the whole state, but more than 2.5 million live in the Greater Phoenix area which covers over 3600 square miles.  Over the past ten years we've had a remarkably low unemployment rate, usually in the lowest 10 states.  The industry here tends toward high tech, banking, real estate, and tourism.
Despite our reputation as a home of elderly Snow Birds, our median age is 32.9 years.
In the SCA, the Greater Phoenix area encompasses three Baronies, Atenveldt (the Premiere Barony, Mother of Kingdoms), SunDragon, and Twin Moons.  The Barony of Atenveldt recently celebrated it's 35th anniversary.  At one point, the SCA consisted of three Kingdoms and one Barony.  Everything that wasn't in The West, The East, or The Middle was Atenveldt.  Atenveldt now has seven Daughter Kingdoms (Caid, Artemisia, Ansteorra, Outlands, Calontir, Meridies, and Atlantia) and one Grandaughter (Trimaris.)  Most of the year, we have easily accessible events every weekend, and if you don't mind driving two or three hours, you have your choice of events every weekend.  With Ered Sul to the North, and Tir Ysgithr and Granit Mountain to the South, we have a wealth of activities year around.
Mordonna
 Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:
>My asthma is getting worse and humidity is really hard on me. I hope it's less >humid in Philly in summer, otherwise I may end up somewhere else, like Boston!
>Olwen

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt