[Sca-cooks] lettuce?

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Sun Jan 5 14:04:19 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 03:41 PM, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus
Adamantius wrote:

> Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>> I did a quick search through "Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books" and
>> didn't find any references to lettuce.  "Curye on Inglysh" has lettuce
>> appearing in two recipes (see below) in one particular manuscript of
>> "Form of Curye", however lettuce doesn't seem to be mentioned in any
>> of
>> the other manuscripts, and 2 recipes out of 205 is not a high
>> percentage.
>>
>> 8  Iowtes of Flessh.  Take borage, cool, langdebef, persel, betes
>> [/letuys], orage, auance, violet, saueray, and fenkel; and whanne
>> (th)ey buth sode, presse hem wel, hakke [/& hew] hem smale; cast hem
>> in
>> gode broth & se(th) hem and serue hem forth.
>>
>> 78  Salat.  Take persel, sage, grene garlec, chibolles, onynouns,
>> leek,
>> borage, myntes, porrettes, fenel, and toun cressis, rew, rosemarye,
>> purslarye; laue and waische hem clene.  Pike hem.  Pluk hem smale
>> wi(th) (th)yn honde, and myng hem wel with rawe oile; lay on vyneger
>> and salt, and serue it forth.
>
> You know, I thought there might be a reference to lettuce in the
> second recipe above, but I don't see any use of the word at all.

D'oh!  Forgot to put in the addition that the footnote specified for
that particular manuscript (the three-year old just woke up from his
nap and distracted me).  The amended recipe reads as follows:

78  Salat.  Take persel, sage, grene garlec, chibolles, letys, leek,
borage, myntes, prymros, violettes, porrettes, fenel, and toun cressis,
rew, purslarye; laue and waische hem clene.  Pike hem.  Pluk hem smale
wi(th) (th)yn honde, and myng hem wel with good oile; lay on vyneger
and salt, and serue it forth.

- Doc