[Sca-cooks] mac & cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 5 17:55:44 PST 2003

Isabella asked:

> One trhing I love to do is experiment (in my cooking!! thought I'd better ad that!! )

On this list, yes. Or some dufus might try to point you to some non-food files
which might have some ideas to experiment with...

> Also, I heard on a tv show the other night that mac and cheese went back to b.c.  I doubt that, but does anyone have a clue if it is period.
It probably depends upon your definition of "mac and cheese" and how exactly it

must be to your preconcieved ideas. Must it have "American cheese"? Is the

only pasta allowed "elbow macaroni"? Yes, similar food dishes made of cheese
and pasta were made in the Middle Ages, perhaps from Classical Rome. See
this file for instance:

pasta-msg        (103K)  2/22/02    Period pasta. Period references. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pasta-stufed-msg.html

Perhaps these other files might be of interest as well:
pasta-gnocchi-msg (13K)  8/ 1/01    Period gnocchi pasta. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pasta-gnocchi-msg.html

pasta-stufed-msg  (33K)  3/20/01    Period stuffed pasta dishes. Ravioli.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pasta-stufed-msg.html

Oh yes, For mushrooms, although I don't think I remember them being
used in period pasta dishes:
mushrooms-msg    (129K) 12/13/01    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/mushrooms-msg.html

> (Nope, I haven't checked the Flori thingy yet, but I am going to)
Well, here are a few files to start with.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com