[Sca-cooks] mac & cheese

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jan 6 15:52:56 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/5/2003 2:52:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com writes:

> Also, I heard on a tv show the other night that mac and cheese went back to
> b.c.  I doubt that, but does anyone have a clue if it is period.

I don;t know how they could tell if Mac and cheese wen tback to BC, but it is
defintiely period.  The earliest, clearly mac and cheese recipe I know is
14th century English, but it doesn't mean there isn't an earlier one I
haven;t heard about.
The one I'm thinking of basically says to make noodles, cook them, and layer
them with cheese and butter.

For modern mac and cheese, I always use cheddar, but then I was raised with
the kind of mac and cheese that does NOT have a sauce made to go on it, and
isn't creamy - Just cooked macaroni infiltrated with melted grated cheddar,
the sharper the better.  But if I was going to put mushrooms in it, I'd go
for something much milder, like a good whole milk mozzarella or something.

Brangwayna