[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Jewish wine additive - OT

Tue Jan 14 07:01:39 PST 2003

The modern jarra or jarrah is about 14.13 liters in Libya and 8.22 liters in
Mexico.

I suspect the jarra was an informal measure which was used for quickly
measuring smaller amounts of bulk liquids.  It doesn't appear to be a
standardized measure.  The Libyan jarrah is roughly 1/2 of a Roman amphora.

Bear