Syrosye redaction (was Re: [Sca-cooks] MK 12th Night feast)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jan 15 08:12:12 PST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Avraham haRofeh of Northpass wrote:

> > syrosye (made with dried cherries)
>
> I want to do exactly this (with dried cherries) for Tavern. Can you share
> your redaction?
>
> Avraham

Certainly.

1 c dried cherries
1/2 c water
1/2 c red wine
2 T sugar
4 T butter
1/4 c heavy cream
2 c fresh white breadcrumbs

A note about the wine--you want a fruity, sweet wine for this. The wine I
ended up using has a brand name of "Cheap Red Wine", stenciled on a brown
paper label. I kid you not. But it's a decent table wine, and it went best
with cherries of all the ones we tasted.

I heeded the various suggestions from the list, and used a mixture of wine
and water to rehydrate the cherries. For my test redaction, I boiled the
liquid and then dumped it over the cherries. For the actual feast, I put
the cherries in a roaster, added the liquid, and heated it until it was
attempting to simmer then let it sit for a bit.

Once your cherries are reasonably soft, submit them to a blender. Put them
back into the pan, and heat gently. Add the cream, sugar, and butter. When
the butter is melted, add the breadcrumbs. The originals don't say whether
you serve it chilled or warm, although I suspect warm. We served it cold,
because of the logistics involved in serving it warm. It's good both ways.

I don't have the original handy because I am at work, only my notes, but I
know I compared all the extant versions before coming up with the
redaction.

Margaret