[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety (now catering gloves)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jan 15 15:04:39 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/15/2003 10:38:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> 1. do all of you have some item of garb and/or clothing that is visisble for
> crossing parking lots and such (yes i sell reflective trim, but you can
> make
> due with a white tabard)  all the hand washing in the world doesnt keep you
> from getting run over.

No.  I don't wear highly visible clothing to get through the parking lots at
the mall or the shopping center mundanely, and the drivers at SCA events are
usually more careful than the idiots doing 50 mph and cutting through spaces
mundanely.

> 2. do you check to make sure that the kitchen has a GOOD first aid kit
> handy
> at all times? and good means that it has multiple pairs of non latex gloves
> and a CPR sheild.  plus a lot of bandages and burn treatments and such for
> the universal bane of kitchens  the burn and cut hazard.

No, I prefer to use my own, or that of a person I know, and there always seem
to be chirurgeons that I know at our events.  In any case, not having any
idea when the items in the kitchen kit were bought or how they've been
handled since, there is no guarentee that they are in any fit state to use.

> 3. do you bring extra pot holders?  a shortage of pot holders and so on
> makes for a higher burn hazard.. Alton Brown recomends that you go to the
> hardware store and buy welders gloves, but even a little quilted square of
> heat resistant stuff helps.

Now that we do have in the shire supplies.  But there are never enough pot
holders or dish towels, no matter what you do.

Brangwayna