[Sca-cooks] Trying again

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Jan 17 04:49:29 PST 2003

> Whole, unpeeled, raw onions can be kept fairly indefinitely at room
> temperature because they're more or less alive. Chopped onions are
> less viable for that; I would certainly try to observe the usual
> Board of Health's (or Sanitation Dept.'s) rules regarding the
> temperature "danger zone" and the [often] two-hour time limit
> included therein. I'd try to store chopped, raw onion in a container
> that provides for some drainage, even if you put a couple of clean
> towels on the bottom of the container.

Remember that onions (and other alliums) are rich in antimicrobial
compounds, which break down during cooking. That also contributes to their
safety at room temperatures.

> Cooked rice is probably safe for a while; I know most
> of the sleazy Chinese takeout places store it in a colander at room
> temperature, at least a day's supply, more or less all day, and it
> appears to be safe that way, under those conditions, anyway. Your
> local health authorities will probably have a different view.

UH UH!!! _Bacillus cereus_ LOVES room temperature rice, and can make you
VERY ill. Cooked rice is subject to the same time/temp rules as other cooked
foods; in fact, I'd venture to say the rules should be observed MORE
stringently.

What makes something safe for room temperature storage? An absence of water
in which bacteria can replicate (hence dry rice, pasta, flour, etc). A thick
peel which prevents bacteria from penetrating (apples, carrots). The
presence of antimicrobial compounds (raw onions, raw garlic).

Basically, anything cooked which is not heat-canned SHOULD NOT be left at
room temperature.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass (soon to be "of Sudentur")
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Ignorance = Fear

---