[Sca-cooks] Trying again

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 18 05:05:07 PST 2003

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Cheez Whiz is *food?*
>--maire, wondering
>
>"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:
>>

>>  See, Brighid, everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is going
>>  to say about this, because it's a tough question. A comprehensive
>>  list or chart would be difficult. While there are foods that can be
>>  stored for some time at room temperature, there are almost none (with
>>  the possible exception of Cheez Whiz) that are miraculously
>  > incorruptible.

Well, some people do eat it. Think of it as the cockroach of foods;
it'll probably be the last thing left that isn't any more radioactive
than anything else.

I used to work for a chef who swore by the preservative power of
Knorr bouillon cubes (actually it was the food-service gunk of the
same brand that came in a plastic tub); the idea was to slip a small
percentage of that stuff into something that otherwise was based on
real stock, and it would last until Judgement Day.

I don't know if it's ever been tried on rice that was left out all
day, though ;-).

And in our pseudo-period food content, several years ago I heard
about a project being done in another Kingdom, in which the
individual ingredients (I assume only the main ones, not the
polysorbate 80 and such) of Cheez Whiz were documented as period
foods to the satisfaction of the researcher, leading to the deduction
that Cheez Whiz is a period food.

I can't say for sure whether this was a joke. I hope so. But if it
existed in period, that might explain the polysorbate 80.

Adamantius