[Sca-cooks] Viking Skillet (was Question about Camp Food)

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Sat Jan 18 09:00:27 PST 2003

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> [2003.01.18] wrote:
> >    viking style skillet (mostly for bread)
>
> What is a Viking Style skillet and where would one buy one?

It is a flat piece of iron/steel (with a diameter around 20 cm), with a
long (app 50 cm) handle. Perhaps the word griddle is better than
skillet. Pictures can be found in most find catalogues.

> Is this a skillet with legs?

Nope.

> What is the recipe for the bread you make?

Water, flour, yeast/sourdough starter, salt. There is AFAIK only one
reconstructed viking age bread, based on a grave find in Birka (with all
the questions that that opens). I tend to use various mixtures and
selections of wheat, barley and rye, since the specific grains that was
most common varied depending on region.

The issue of yeast or sourdough is another tricky one, since at least
the near-Roman Germanic tribes, during late Roman times, used yeast,
probably a byproduct from beer production, in their bread (roman writers
comment on their non-sour, lights & fluffy bread).

UlfR

UlfR                                             par at hunter-gatherer.org
I keep seeing spots in front of my eyes.
Did you ever see a doctor?
No, just spots.