[Sca-cooks] Viking Skillet (was Question about Camp Food)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jan 19 19:25:50 PST 2003

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 08:20 PM 1/19/03 EST, you wrote:
>>--
>>Can anyone suggest good resources for Gothic or Frankish recipes? My persona
>>is a Visigoth from Toledo and I'm having a difficult time finding resources.
>
>Nooo... I don't know of any extant recipes from that time and place. I _do_
>have however at link to a list of what was grown in Charlemagne's garden,
>as well as livestock and grains- and that is a good start!
>
>http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/800Asnapium.html
>
>Interesting to notice the proportion of barley to other grains. Brewing?
>
>'Lainie

It may also reflect weather conditions prior to the beginning of the
"mini-Ice-Age" in the 11th-12th centuries (a phenomenon similar to
the one that enabled Roman colonists to grow grapes in Britain). Of
course, wheat was grown in warm climates, too, so it's a tough call
on this issue.

As far as Gothic and Frankish recipes go, it might be worth noting
that Anthimus, writing in, what, the early seventh century, is
advising Theodoric, King of the Franks, on dietary matters. Whether
this reflects the foodways of the Franks or the Byzantines (in other
words, whether Anthimus is writing from his own, Byzantine,
experience, or to his Frankish target audience) isn't entirely clear.

Adamantius