[Sca-cooks] period deep frying

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Jan 20 08:43:31 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>

> You can deep fry easy enough over flames. You just have to be careful
not
> to get the oil too hot. I cooked donuts this way back in my Boy Scout
days.
> However, coals are probably better since they are more predictable.
<<<SNIP>>>
> We have discussed this here previously, although I don't think we
came to
> a definative answer. My feeling still is that, in period, oil was
expensive
> and there were better uses for it than deep frying. You can only deep
fry
> so long before the oil breaks down. I believe it was Ras and I who
were
> arguing this previously. I am willing to concede that there was some
> deep frying because some dishes seem to work better with this, but I
still
> don't think it was common.<<<SNIP>>>
>
> Stefan

Stefan,

I remember vaguely the discourse on frying and oil expense.  My belief
is that liquid oils may have been too expensive to the common classes to
use daily, except in those regions or households that produced them
(olive oil would be pricey in Northern British Isles).  I also have a
concept that Lard would be a frying fat that would be more affordable.
Pork producing regions would find it realtively more economical than
those who would have to import it.

In the United States, animal fats were used in Fast Food joints to
create MARVELOUS french fried potatoes and other fried foods until the
health nazi's came and protected us from the fats.  I have infered from
conversations and info in different recipes that Solid animal fats would
have been available and possible affordable to use for frying.  You
could conceivably fry in it once or twice under controlled heat and
still use it in another application if it didn't pick up "off" flavors
like fish

Also, frying, like several other cooking methods, works best under
somewhat controlled heat.  Flame is a B at st@rd to control for cooking
anything but blazing heat.  Coals or charcoal would very likely give a
better result and prevent scorching the oil easily.  Animal fats and
other less processed fats will scorch more easily as you would expect.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco