[Sca-cooks] OOP request: Jellied salad???

Wed Jan 22 11:10:07 PST 2003

I have experienced mess halls and mess sargeants and will say that they are
as capable and of as varied quality as the range of civilian cooks.  Most
mess sergeants are decent cooks who turn out edible, buffet fare day in and
day out.  Upon occasion you find a true master, such as the Army mess
sergeant who ran the galley on the USS Patch on a 10 day trip from
Bremehaven to Brooklyn.  He turned out a superb German meal for 4,000.  On
the return trip on the USS Bruckner, we had a mess sergeant (probably on his
first assignment out of Cooks and Bakers school) who prepared the
stereotypic Army slop.  Both were remarkable in their quality.

Most school cafeterias seem to have cooking school rejects running
(ruining?) the kitchen.  The real similarity between school cafeterias and
messhalls is a captive audience.

Bear