[Sca-cooks] Tequilla and Sangria - period?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 23 07:30:41 PST 2003

One might check out Sophie Coe's book on the cuisines
of the Americas (Maya, Aztec and Inca) for the early stuff.
Pamela Vandyke in her Penguin Book of Spirits and Liqueurs
places tequila along with pulque and mezcal, although she notes
that they are of three different types.
Pulque which is a fermented drink made from the sap of the agave plant
was apparently the one drink that the Spanish had to deal with
extensively in 16th and 17th century Mexico and they tried to regulate
it from early on. John Super's book Food, Conquest and Colonization
in 16th Century Spanish America notes that there were 1600 taverns
by the end of the Colonial period in Mexico City. The Spanish apparently
were not fond of pulque to start with anyway and wanted wine.

There should be a variety of things available on that
aspect. You might try researching all three and see what you find.
I am planning to do some work with foods in Mexico later on this year
and I will keep an eye out for any references.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway