[Sca-cooks] School Food OOP

SableSwanHerald at aol.com SableSwanHerald at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 02:31:35 PST 2003

I went to a number of different schools growing up, and had the usual
scattering of horror stories coupled with some okay items- almost every
school had decent pizza, for school pizza, and it was anticipated.

There were a few standouts of items that I don't know the components of:  one
school district in California had this interesting peanut butter candy/cookie
bar thing which I've never experienced elsewhere - it was *really* good and
most students liked it, although some didn't - so students who liked it could
be seen trying to do deals with the students who were allergic to peanuts or
didn't care for it.  No grains, no lumpy bits - just a really intriguing
peanut flavor, not what some would call 'too sweet" (although i would like to
encourage everyone to remember that sweetness and saltiness and such are
*matters of personal taste*, and to please add "...for me" when they gauge a
flavor in that manner - I, for example, am a bonafide sodium chloridaholic
and am likely to run try any food someone else mentions as "too salty").

Likewise, there was once a disaster in the school kitchen which necessitated
the substitution of some suspicious-looking slices of a "mystery meat roll".
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, right?  They were *delicious*.  Never
repeated afterwards while I was there (this was in Alaska).  Once some of us
were brave enough to try them, we were again doing deals for the french fries
or overdone creamed corn or whatever the side dishes were in exchange for the
meat rolls.

School food is a weird subject all unto itself...

Berengaria