School Food (was Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP request:Jelliedsalad???) still OOP

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Fri Jan 24 12:39:16 PST 2003

The food in my freshman year was horrible, with serious problems in
selection and quality.  To the University's credit, it had just taken
things over from a subcontractor and was having to learn how to do
everything.  I lost 5 pounds during that year.  Things improved rapidly
over the following years and by the time I graduated the food was
reasonably good.

Now the University where I did grad school has all of its food provided
by Marriott, which in turn had subcontracted much out to fast food
franchises.  This meant that many students there ate nothing but
burgers and pizza for lunch and dinner, seven days a week - mind you,
the quality of fast food is usually higher than the Marriott food I've
had (no offense meant to any Marriott employees on this list, I assume
it's a management caused thing).

I guess it really just depends on what you like to eat, where the
school is, and who's running it.