[Sca-cooks] OT, IP, T-Tunic oops

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 24 21:11:34 PST 2003

Isabella asked:
> Ooops. Sorry, but my t-tunics are just that...the ill-fitting, make me look like a battleship (oh, wait a minute, I think the spaghetti did that ;-)   ) ones that I don't think are really authentic. I love them, but I am trying to get the design that goes with my persona, and I don't think these do. Especially with a yoke?
>
> If anyone has any ideas where I can get info on the gusseted ones I would appreciate it.

I too, am in a similar situation. I have started to make my tunics out of
linen and wool at least, but would really like to move from generic T-tunics
to something more becoming for a 12th C Anglo-Norman nobleman.
Recently Lainie mentioned three medieval clothing mail lists. I've asked
her by email for her opinion of each. Perhaps she will copy any answer
to this list or to you. I'm thinking about choosing one to mine for the
Florilegium as well as to increase my own clothing knowledge.

You might also try looking at the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium.

For instance, these files:
clothing-bib      (27K)  4/19/95    Bibliography of Russian, East Europe,
Middle East clothing books. Other books, too.
clothing-books-msg(93K) 12/14/99    Book reviews, bibliographies and pattern
                                       sources.
Houppelande-art   (42K)  6/22/98    "The Houppelande C. 1355-1450"
                                        by Allison Poinvillars de Tours.

I'm not sure when the yoke style came into use. It may have been post
late period or post-period.
Perhaps this article might have some info on this:

Tudor-Shirts-art  (10K)  4/14/02    "Tudor Shirts - How to accurately cut &
                                       reconstruct 16th century shirts"
                                       by Master Giles de Laval.

You might also find some of the files in the TEXTILE ARTS section of use,
such as:

fabric-ident-msg  (23K) 11/ 6/01    Identifying unknown fabric w. various tests.

sergers-msg       (20K)  7/21/98    Use of sergers in the SCA. Advantages.
sewing-msg        (78K)  1/20/00    Sewing ideas and stitches.
sewng-machnes-msg (24K)  9/27/01    Comments on sewing machines for SCA use.
Fnd-Tme-2-Sew-art (17K)  8/ 4/00    "Finding Time to Sew" by Lord Profirevich.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com