Beer percentages OOP WAS:Re: [Sca-cooks] MY DAY IN CLASS

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 29 21:16:47 PST 2003

"Proof" as a measure of alcoholic strength is twice the percentage of
alcohol in the beverage.  Because it is used to measure distilled alcohol
rather than simple fermentation, proofing actually starts about 20% or 40
proof.  It derives from the test or "proof" of the quality of the alcoholic
beverage.  Whiskey that will let gunpowder burn is usually double or triple
run and the gunpowder test is "proof" of the higher quality.

Technically, you can get 199 proof alcohol, but opening the container to the
air hydrates the solution to about 190 proof (IIRC), which I believe is
Everclear's stated proof.  Twenty years ago I was using 199 proof methanol
to flash dry photographic negatives.

Bear