[Sca-cooks] Okay, it's that time of year again...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 09:44:03 PST 2003

Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>>5. Jai, a.k.a. Buddhist Delight -- Traditionally meatless but not
>>necessarily vegetarian
>
>Interesting.  Used to prepare Jai banquets for 2,000 to 5,000 at the Taoist
>Tai-Chi center in Orangeville, ON...  Most definitely vegetarian, most
>definitely more than one dish.  Ohhh the memories! :-)

I'm told the word translates, in Southern Chinese dialects such as
Cantonese and Toysan, as "restraint, austerity, or penitence", New
Year's Day being more or less Yom Kippur to New Year's Eve's Rosh
Hashana, if that makes any sense, and if I haven't accidentally
reversed the order and meanings of the Jewish holidays in question. I
don't see the details of a dish called "jai" and a "jai banquet"
being mutually exclusive, do you? As far as I'm concerned, one could
even make a good case for McDonald's being penitence food.

Be that as it may, whatever flavor of Buddhism my wife's ancestors
practiced were not averse to throwing a couple of dried shrimp,
scallops, or beche de mer (sea cucumber) into their meatless cookery,
it seems. Maybe it's that Presbuddhaterian sect I keep hearing about,
influencing their traditions.

Adamantius