[Sca-cooks] Potato Pie (was: deep frying)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 31 16:22:10 PST 2003

Bear wrote:

>Iffen you got it.  I want it.  Recipe and documentation, please.

to Berengaria's

>  >the only potato "recipe" I've seen at all is one very odd "potato pie" that
>>may be sweet potatoes.
>>
>>I think it's 1598, but don't quote me on that - could be even a few years
>  >later.

If it's the same one I've seen, it's from one of the end-of-period
English cookbooks and is titled something like "A tart to give
courage to a man or a woman". In addition to a "potaton" it includes
the brains of a cock-sparrow, I forget what all else. I can probably
hunt it up for you, but I think it has been posted here before--maybe
Stefan has it in the Florilegium?

Elizabeth/Betty Cook