[Sca-cooks] Aten Policy

Mary Morman mem at rialto.org
Tue Jul 1 14:13:40 PDT 2003

My thanks to Johnna for sending me the text in a form I could read.

I'll start by saying that - having cooked in the East kingdom, albeit
many years ago - I understand where Brangwayna and AdamAnt are coming
from.  To them the policy seems very restrictive.  However, after twelve
years in the Outlands - an Aten rite kingdom - I think I have a clearer
idea about what problems the rules are trying to fix.

The policy clearly states the number of people who are allowed to be
comped.  That's vital.  I have cooked way too many feasts over the past
ten years where as many as 16 people - NOT including servers - are
expected to be fed out of the monies expended per head for the rest of
the hall, and this can be the same whether the feast is for 80 or for
180.  I would REJOICE at having the Aten limitations adopted and
enforced as policy in my kingdom.

While the $ per head limit does seem a little low, I don't find it
unreasonable.  Especially if it is indeed PER HEAD rather than the
amount for only the paying customers with more than a dozen "freebies"
expected at no additonal cost.

I would be overjoyed to see an official kingdom policy that made the
only real reservation a paid reservation.  That's the way I learned to
cook SCA feasts in the East and Atlantia.  It is NOT the way things are
done out here.  There is absolutely no expectation of any paid
reservations, and autocrats tend to feel privileged if they get some
number of unpaid reservations.  If you are living where the expectation
is to somehow cook for as many people as may come, and where a place
WILL be made for as many people as show up with the cook being told to
cook a bit more soup or head down to the grocery store for some of those
barbequeued chickens to stretch the feast - well then, this kind of
policy seems a welcome relief rather than an imposition.

All in all, while the policies are definitely very bureaucratic, I
percieve them as an attempt to fix a problem, and think that, if
enforced, they will probably succeed.  If they do succeed then people
will learn different behaviors and in a couple of years, perhaps the
need for the policy will no longer exist.

Elaina

--
To be humble to superiors is duty,
  to equals courtesy,