[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Wed Jul 2 13:47:28 PDT 2003

Chickpeas (used in every form, in the hummus, in the fula, etc), figues,
lamb, eggplants (there are tons of recipes of baba ganush), honey,
almonds. Is not many files in the Florilege about Middle Eastern Kitchen?
Think about there were very different "cuisines" depending on yout class
and income. The sultan's kitchen expensive dishes were barely eaten
outside Damascus, Bagdad or Istambul.
And it was really interesting to see how the Crusades brang to Europe a
lot of new dishes and spices they learned to eat in Levant.
Ana