[Sca-cooks] Readability

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 00:04:28 PDT 2003

A number of folks are protesting that they aren't sending
attachments. What is happening is the new mail program is stripping
out the html. Then it's adding a footer about the html formatted
message as an "attachment". I get the Digest, and so many messages
have clickable links at their end, so i can see the "attachments", if
i want to.

Branwayna, you are sending your messages in html, so the program is
striping out the html message and letting folks know it's there -
when i click on the link i see your html'd message with all the code
hanging out.

The old mail program just stripped it all out of the Digest.

But the new mail program strips out the html messages and adds a link
to it. Frankly, i'm thankful for this, to certain extent. In the
H-Costume Digest, any message in html is double long, first the plain
text, then the ugly html - ugly because all the code is showing.
Makes many digests three times as long as they need to be, ugly and
very hard to read.

It would be nice if it was all "invisible", as it was with the old
mailer. but these one line footers are only a minor nuisance.

Frankly, most html'd messages are ugly, because people pick colors
that might look nice on their monitors but don't on other people's.
And they pick horrid fonts (like Arial, which is a travesty) and
often set the font size smaller than normal. Fortunately i'm near
sighted, so small text doesn't bother me. But very small Arial text
in cobalt blue is darn hard to read. Now i don't know if anyone is
doing this, because i don't get the messages in html format from this
list and i've only clicked on a few of the links in the digest, just
to see what i was missing...

But i do get html messages on other lists where i receive messages as
individual e-mail. And, well, i'm weird (what's new). If i want to
save a message, well, my mail reader (Eudora) allows me to EDIT
received messages, so i just click the button that displays
everything - full headers, AND html. Then i waste time editing out
all the html so the text is nice and black and in Verdana, a font
designed specifically to be easy to read on a monitor.

No food content... uh, well, i just found this great flavored (but
unsweetened) carbonated water - it's got lemon orange, and grapefruit
flavors in it.

Anahita