[Sca-cooks] On a whim: white chocolate buttercream???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jul 4 12:34:13 PDT 2003

Hullo, the list!

I found myself with some time to kill while Spouse and Evil Spawn (tm)
are out, and made a very basic yellow cake, from no particular recipe.
While it was baking, I made a buttercream frosting with unsalted
butter, confectioner's sugar, etc. Knowing that the Evil Spawn (tm)
seems to react adversely to chocolate liquor (IOW, all forms of
chocolate other than white chocolate), I wondered how one makes a white
chocolate buttercream. I mean, you can't use white cocoa; I suppose
melting white chocolate into it might work.

What I finally ended up doing was making a basic vanilla buttercream,
but with some of the butter replaced with softened cocoa butter (food
grade, from the candy/cake supply place in Manhattan). That seems to
work pretty well.

Does anybody know of any more obvious method? I've earned a living as a
pastry chef, but in general baking isn't something that hugely
interests me, so there may be something obvious that is eluding me.

Adamantius