[Sca-cooks] adventures in imports

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Sun Jul 6 11:41:43 PDT 2003

So I just got back from Toronto.  Shopped on Friday and went to Summer
Sanitarium on Saturday.  Backstage pass--got the boys to sign my drop
spindle!

The shopping:  Walking to Little India meant walking through East
Chinatown which is mostly Vietnamese.  We stopped for lunch at some place
on Gerrard.  I don't recall the name but we were the only non-Asians.
(The place had a transportation theme going in the murals, if that
helps.)  The menu is where the fun begins.  Lots of milkshakes and
smoothies listed in *many* flavors.  Including:  Honeydew  Jackfruit
(brace yourself) Durian  Yes, Durian.  I ordered it.  Really not bad.
Kind of like Tony Bourdain's description.  I think they probably import
the pulp pureed and frozen though.  I couldn't smell it from the front
and, unlike the jackfruit, I didn't see any being sold.  Oh, and I got a
nice silk sari that will become garb.  Wandering the Kensington Market
yielded incense and some yummy cheese for lunch.

The street festivals were fun too.  My mother will be happy to hear about
the street cars; she misses them.

And, yes, I'll be at Pennsic.  Lounging and party-hopping and working
Security Point.

Morgana