[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks : Pickling

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 16:41:26 PDT 2003

Sigh, another book to buy from Devra.

On the pickling research, I am looking at brined, vinegared and fermented
pickles as a source of long term ( one month to one year ) food preservation,
along the lines of kimchee in the Korean penninsula or salted preserved lemons in
North Africa and whether these methods of preservation were used on
vegetables in which sections of Europe at what time.

On preserving meats, the Romans had salted hams figured out, and the recipe
apparently did not change much.

Olwen Bucklond