[Sca-cooks] Period Cheese... again?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 09:30:28 PDT 2003

-------Original Message-------
> The GodeCookery website has a page devoted to suitable cheese for
Medieval and Renaissance recipes
http://www.godecookery.com/how2cook/howto02.htm

I am a bit skeptical, perhaps unfairly. Anyone have a good idea of what types of cheese are really period, please critic the list below, copied from the link above...

Anahita

> Parmesan - first recorded use is in 1579.

I think it may be older than that.  The 1520 Libre de Coch mentions "formatge de parma".  Of course, I don't know if this is the same kind of cheese as the Parmasan we know.

I'm not at home and can't access the Italian cookbooks.  Anyone know if Platina mentions Parmesan?

Brighid ni Chiarain