[Sca-cooks] Has anyone roasted a pig on a spit?

j2rhat at comcast.net j2rhat at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 00:17:15 PDT 2003

Hello all, I am Yeke Delger, Chevetain of the Barony of Stromgaard Cooking Guild,
Kingdom of An Tir. As the Chevetain of this newly founded cooking guild (6/03), I have
been asked to roast a whole pig on a spit at our upcoming Fall Festival & Sergeantry
Trials. I have never done this before, and so far as I can find out neither has anyone else
in our Barony. I have been subscribed to your email list for a few months now and have
come to realize so many of you are great cooks and done many things (cooking wise)
that I have never even thought of doing. So have any of you roasted a whole pig on a
spit? If so, how high above the fire pit does the pig need to hang for cooking? I will be
cooking a 75 pound pig for 24 hours over a bed of hot coals continually turning the spit.
Will that be sufficient enough time? I do have a meat thermometer on hand to check it,
but I don't want to find out at 3pm on Saturday that the pig is only 120º and needs to be
served for dinner at 6pm and there is no way it will reach proper temp by 6pm. I did read
a horror story about how someone else cooked a whole beast only to find out a few
hours before serving that there was no way it would be finished on time and the had to
cut it in three and cook it in the oven and put it back together and hide the cuts before
serving it. Being we will be camping there will not be a stove to save me if it will not be
done by 6pm. Well, any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Yeke Delger