[Sca-cooks] Re:Has anyone roasted a pig on a spit.

Jane Massey dylansmom at cox.net
Thu Jul 31 09:07:30 PDT 2003

I've actually done this twice.  Once on a open spit and once with a rented pig cooker. The spit method worked, but took much longer to cook, I barely had enough time to get it carved before feast. I highly suggest the pig cooker method.  Less cooking time, easier to cover in inclement weather and certainly easier to control temp.  If you have access to military bases or someone in your group does, I'd highly suggest looking to rent one from them.  They are significantly less to rent (usually with a deposit that you get back).  Start cooking on Friday evening (hopefully you have someone to stand watch while you sleep).  You should have no problem getting the pig up to safe temp by a 6 pm feast.

Lady Lavender de Morten
Barony of Tir-y-Don, Kingdom of Atlantia
"Animis opibusque parati"