[Sca-cooks] Ein gefulten kuchen

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jul 2 06:06:59 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 02:25  AM, bruniquel wrote:

> Maybe the "fish" reference is a red herring... if you leave it out you
> could (sort of) end up with something that might be cake-y...

Could be. On the other hand, maybe the potato in potato pancakes, or
the carrot in carrot cake, might be omitted to get something that more
closely resembles a modern cake. Granted, this kuchen doesn't mention
fish in its name, so the analogy is somewhat exaggerated but still not
completely inappropriate.

See, while the inherent weirdness (or any perceptions thereof) of an
ingredient in a recipe does not, in itself, preclude the possibility of
scribal or translator's error, neither does it confirm it. What it does
do is force us to at least accept the possibility that a medieval
German person's idea of a cake might be very different from ours, or
that a "kuchen" might have originally had little resemblance to our
modern concept of a "cake".

Another example of the kind of thing I mean would be a typical medieval
English crustade, later, in theory, to become our modern "custard".

It may or may not be named for the crust, but it generally involves
little or no sweetening for the eggs or egg yolks. Some variants
include no other dairy products, and both cheese and bone marrow are
common additions.

Yet we all know, today, that a custard is almost invariably milk or
cream thickened with eggs or egg yolks, and almost invariably
sweetened. Quite often vanilla is involved, and frequently there's no
crust at all.

So, when adapting a medieval crustade recipe, the question then
becomes, "to what extent is it necessary to tweak this recipe to
resemble a modern custard?" Do we assume the bone marrow is a scribal
error, even though it appears in 47 different versions of the same
recipe, or that it is a red herring, because we can't imagine marrow in
custard? Or do we try it, acknowledging the perpetual possibility for
error on various levels, and see what we can learn, in this qualified
sense, about medieval food habits? [It's actually good. At least until
you have that heart attack ;-).  ]

Sometimes the closest and most accurate interpretation of a period
recipe that we can achieve is what it _might_ be.

Adamantius