[Sca-cooks] Re: le menagier

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Thu Jul 3 16:37:19 PDT 2003

Hmmm

If it is any help, there is a period recipe for strawberry tarts which has precooked pastry shells in which you lay fresh strawberry slices sprinkled with sugar, bake for a minute and then pour a sweet wine over the top. (scratches head trying to remember which of her cookbooks has it)

Ahah!  I know where it would be; the list of recipes from the Red and white ball. Here 'tis:

To make a strawberry tart (The cookbook of Sabina Welserin 1553)
Make a pastry shell and let it become firm in the tart pan. Afterwards take strawberries and lay them around on top as close together as possible, after that sweeten them especially well. Next let it bake a short while, pour Malavosia over it and let it bake a while, then it is ready.

Hope that is helpful.

Kiriel