OT/OOP Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: [missing] links

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jul 4 08:26:01 PDT 2003

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 08:21  AM, Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
wrote:

>> And no, his name is not Mario Nebbits.
>
> This is the second or third time I've seen that name in recent weeks.
> WHO is
> Mario Nebbits?

Some four or five, or more, Pennsics ago, some member of this list
(IIRC, somebody from Oklahoma, but neither of the Deckers) went to
Pennsic or some other long war-type event, either leaving a vacation
autoreply set for her work e-mail address (also the subscribed address
for the Cooks' List), or maybe she went on vacation without
unsubscribing and her mailbox filled up.

Anyway, we were quite a high-traffic list at the time, and normally
there'd be maybe 200 posts in a day. This person's mail program, or
local server, or something, decided to reply to each and every post, in
turn, with a notice sent to the Cooks' List stating that so-and-so was
on vacation, we should only stop spamming her mailbox, and if we had
any questions we should contact the sysadmin, Mario Nebbits (I think
this was some kind of bank).

And then, because suddenly we were all getting 400 messages a day
instead of 200, the server began to reply to its own messages to the
effect that So-and-so was on vacation, with posts that said that
So-and-so was on vacation. Making 600 posts. Or, rather, since it then
replied to _those_ posts...

...Basically the end of the world as we know it. And digest users had a
really fun time, as you can imagine, with digests being generated about
every two minutes containing nothing but the same message, over and
over, with a different subject line.

Since it was Pennsic (or some other War) week and we were
uncharacteristically low on food/historical content anyway (this may or
may not have been the year of The Great Twinkie Debates), there was a
certain amount of picking on Mario Nebbits. I thought it was a great
name for poking fun at, with its sort of unmatching, unbalanced
elements. As in Ophelia Wong, or Heathcliff Moskowitz (both real
people, BTW). And, since he was the only name to which we could even
indirectly attach blame for this problem, there was a certain amount of
ragging on old Mario, even though we knew he wasn't really to blame.
Okay, we were an angry mob with pitchforks and Mario Nebbits remains,
to this day, collateral damage.

Adamantius