[Sca-cooks] Flavored water- was Readability

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jul 4 12:05:49 PDT 2003

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 02:26  PM, Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

>>> So i suppose it's conceivable that it could be sold (under a
>>> different
>>> brand label) in an Italian or Euro or "gourmet" market, if there's no
>>> Whole Foods (or other shop owned by Whole Foods) near you.
>>
>> At the risk of sounding disparaging (and the exact opposite is what I
>> had in mind), it sounds rather like flavored seltzer, except this is
>> more like flavored club soda. Which I consider a good thing because it
>> demonstrates that similar products should be readily available to most
>> of us.
>>
>> As for percentages of minerals and daily MDR's, I'd bet on those being
>> percentages of MDR's, since they seem contingent on an 8-ounce
>> serving.
>> Otherwise, what difference would it make?
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> So, while we're on the topic, what is the difference between seltzer
> and
> club soda?

Commercial seltzer (as opposed to the bubbly water from the German [I
think. Or is it Austrian?] spring/spa at Niederseltners, which was
bottled and sold commercially, once upon a time [Is Perrier still a
natural product?], is carbonated water, with a relatively low mineral
content. Club Soda has various salts and minerals added, more or less
to imitate bubbly mineral water.

> Margaret, in MN where they don't sell club soda in 2-liter bottles,
> *snif*

So I guess seltzer in glass siphons delivered to your door is out, huh?
I think there are still vendors in Brooklyn who do that, although
nothing like the number there used to be; nobody makes the siphons
anymore, I think, so this particular industry is presumably on the way
out.

I have a CO2-powered charger someplace, but I find the product has to
be _really_ cold to keep its fizz for any period of time, and it isn't
even as easy as it used to be to find the CO2 cartridges. You may
actually find that a lot easier than I.

Adamantius