[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Sat Jul 5 05:29:31 PDT 2003

Hi there

In "The Food Chronology" by James Trager he notes that the artichoke is used
by the Romans.  He quotes Pliny's "Historia Naturalis".  This is in the 1st
century.  (p31)   The next mention of the artichoke is in 1533 and I will
quote here  "Cooks attending Catherine de' Medici introduce to France such
vegetables as broccoli, globe artichokes ... fonds d'artichauts...." (p91).

As to the Jerusalem Artichoke it seems to be a new world plant.  First
mention of it is in 1609 when the Virginia colony finds that its' food stocks
have run low.  Survivors take on different tasks (ie hunting, fishing and
gathering) of which they gather "...Jerusalem artichokes and other wild
plants" (p113).  It is again mentioned in 1616 with the French explorer
Samuel de Champlain.  He introduces the Jerusalem artichoke to France in
1616.  At first it is known as the Canadian artichoke, the earth pear etc.
There is abosolutely no mention of how the Jerusalem artichoke became known
as the Jerusalem artichoke.

Okay, I have become too curious.

Here is an interesting url that recounts some of the history and nameing of
the Jerusalem artichoke.  http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch26.html

Also if you check out Apicius there are three recipes using artichokes:
Artichokes with Fish-pickle dressing (Carduos)
Artichokes with Hot Herb dressing (Aliter carduos)
Cumin spiced artichokes (Aliter carduos elixos - steamed artichokes).

Hope this helps and clears up some of the questions surrounding artichokes.

Marina