[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 5 09:06:57 PDT 2003

Trager is a bad source to quote without deeper investigation.  He does not
differentiate between fact, suppositions and apocryphal tales.  I generally
use Trager as a starting point for further research.

A quick check of the Penguin Pliny shows no reference to artichokes or
cardoons, however it is an abridged edition and a complete reference may
show something.  Any of the comments about the "cooks Catherine de Medici
brought to France with her" is immediately suspect.  She was from a branch
of the Medicis with reduced fortunes from having been run out of Florence by
civil unrest.  Most of the retinue at her marriage belonged to her Uncle,
the Pope.  And it was not until her Regency for her son that she gained any
real power in France.

I think you may find the Jerusalem atrichoke referenced in Thomas Hariot's A
Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land in Virginia (1588), but not
under that name.

The Flower and Rosenbaum edition of Apicius identifies the artichoke
referenced by the term "Carduus" as being Cynara cardunculus, the cardoon,
although they believe it to be "a species of globe artichoke."

The web site fails to provide particulars about where they got much of their
information, making it difficult to verify their history.  It should be
taken with a grain of salt.

Bear