[Sca-cooks] faux watermelon?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 13:30:06 PDT 2003

Is your pan cut in half by the poles or by the
equator?  Mine is by the equator.

Actually the ice cream/sorbet idea sounds quicker
and less work.  Hmmm.  Lime sorbet outside, lemon
sorbet following, with strawberry sorbet with
either raisins or chocolate chips for the inside.
But I have absolutely no freezer space at the
moment. :-(

Or if I do the jello bit, lime jello followed by
almond jello, followed by strawberries and
strawberry jello with raisins for the inside.

However, I already knew that you preferred to
gild the lily ...  :-)

Huette

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I got a football pan if you need one.
>
> For serious verisimilitude, only a few layers
> of
> green coating on the outside, then a layer of a
> white iced goody [vanilla ice cream, maybe
> lemon granita?] and =then= the
> strawberry inside?  Just a thought.
>
> Always here to paint the lily and gild fine
> gold,
> Selene Colfox
>
> Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>
> > I am not sure that I would like green
> frosting on
> > top.  If I made this. I probably would use
> green
> > jello, following the jiggler recipe, on top.
> > This would be a lot less sweet.
> >
> > Now that I am thinking about it, I have a
> cake
> > pan that is shaped like half a football.  I
> think
> > that I will fill it with the green jello
> jiggler,
> > then when it is stiff, I will scoop out most
> of
> > the jello, leaving a shell.  I will then fill
> it
> > with the strawberry mixture, but I think I
> will
> > use
> > strawberry jello instead of the glaze [but
> still
> > using the strawberries and raisins], again
> using
> > the jiggler recipe.  When this is unmolded it
> > should look just like a watermelon cut in
> half.
> >
> > Thank you for the inspiration!
> >
> > Huette

=====