[Sca-cooks] OOP-Cold Salads

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 6 10:33:54 PDT 2003

Well, it didn't contain any starch, but I did make a cold salad yesterday.
I had been to the Farmer's Market, and had bought a pre-steamed crab
(something I rarely do, but this one called out to me).  I re-steamed the
crab to be safe, then cooled and picked the meat out.  I had boiled some
eggs, and sliced several whites in a sort-of thin julienne, long strands of
whites to approximately match the strands of crab meat.  I sliced thin
juliennes of celery to add texture.  I dressed it with lime juice, salt,
fresh-cracked black pepper, a little Herbamare, some kelp granules, and just
a tad of mayo.  It rocked.  One of the folks at the party was on Atkins, and
was thrilled to have something other than the baked chickens he had brought
to eat.
I served it with celery sticks, and also had some wonderful basil bread from
the Farmer's Market that I cut into points.  I made deviled eggs  - my
grandmother's recipe - pickle relish, mustard powder, mayo, s&p - with the
h.b. eggs, and served the crab salad, eggs, and some grapes on one platter,
with the bread points and left-over egg stuffing in another bowl.
Christianna