[Sca-cooks] Fw: [MR] gum arabic versus gum tragacanth

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 8 05:01:01 PDT 2003

Gum arabic is derived from members of the genus Acacia, primarily A.
senegal.  Gum tragacanth is derived from Astragallus gummifer (Syrian
tragacanth).  Both are used in the same manner, but gum tragacanth has
greater stability over a wider range of acidity and temperature and is
therefor considered the better product for commercial use.

IIRC, both are mentioned by Theophratus (?), which makes them known from
Antiquity.

Bear