[Sca-cooks] Romanian Cookbook

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 10:22:20 PDT 2003

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 10:28  AM, Patrick Levesque wrote:
>
> > 1 recipe of an unknown vegetable: anghenarii (help, anyone?)
>
> I found one reference to anghenarii on the Web:
>
> http://biblioteca.euroweb.ro/calendar/decembrie2.htm

Google gave me another page from the same site that
appears to be some recipes from a book with garlic
on the cover:  http://biblioteca.euroweb.ro/bucate/coperta.htm

> _If_ the Romanian language bears as much resemblance to Latin as the
> common words seem to indicate, and if, on that page, a word indicating
> spinach shows up just a few words along from anghenarii, and if the
> resemblance of the word "anghenarii" to the word "angon" (which is a
> kind of spear, as I recall, known to the Romans), we might be looking
> at some kind of long/hollow-stemmed, blade-leafed green, like amaranth
> or water spinach. Something mallow-ish.

Spear... that reminds me of the Anglo-Saxon "gaer-leek" garlic.
Maybe "anghenarii" is cognate with "onion"?  I think we
are looking as some kind of allium here.

Maybe I've been practicing unhinging my modern sense of
spelling in order to read historical cookbooks...

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net