[Sca-cooks] P: sieves

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 11 22:10:35 PDT 2003

Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> Ok, when a period recipe says to strain something, what sort of a
> strainer
> do you use-- cloth, wire sieve, metal sieve with holes? Do you use
> different strainers for different recipes? If so, how do you choose?
> Obviously some things are meant to be strained through cloth because it
> says so in the recipe. But what about sauces? I've been experimenting
> with
> using metal and wire sieves and wondering which are closest to the
> period
> intent.
You haven't mentioned sleeves made of hair.
I doubt that this file will answer your specific question, but perhaps
it will be of use. This is in the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
strainers-msg     (15K)  1/10/02    Period sieves and strainers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/strainers-msg.html
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas