[Sca-cooks] Growing Herbs

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 13 13:42:46 PDT 2003

Mint does well in the shade. I particularly like a spearmint variety called
Kentucky Colonel. I had a pot here (Richmond) for a number of years and it
came back every spring, but it didn't survive the summer drought and hard
winter. I replaced it with a new plant in April and it's doing great --
ready for juleps.

My growing area is part-sun. I've had particularly good luck with marjoram,
sage and chives. Parsley grows well, but if you get swallowtail caterpillars
they will decimate your plants -- the plants will come back after the
caterpillars are through with them, though. You just have to be patient.
Basil is also pretty easy to grow.

I tried rosemary in pots, and it always died. Then I put it in the ground in
the absolute nastiest, driest (and shady) spot by the driveway, and it just
loves it there. Thyme is pretty much the same.

This late in the season, you will probably want to buy good-sized plants
from a nursery. Remember that most herbs are basically weeds. In their
natural habitat they grow wild and don't require any care. I use plastic
pots for most herbs because they don't dry out as fast as clay. Saucers will
protect your deck but you need to watch that they don't collect standing
water -- herbs don't like wet feet, and mosquitos like to breed.

I think the most important thing about plants is to remember that they don't
come and tell you when they need to be fed and watered. You have to check on
them regularly, daily if you can work it into your schedule. And once
they're big enough to harvest, use them regularly, as herbs seem to thrive
on constant trimming.

Write me off list if you want to chat some more -- a5foil at ix.netcom.com.

Cynara