[Sca-cooks] Medieval Italian recipes for Lasagna was Re: Medieval English Lasagna

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jul 16 06:36:49 PDT 2003

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>Hmmm... so we don't have any dating of lasagna in an italian manuscript
>before 1390? Or do we?

It's a little unclear, but we do have a claim that Italian recipes go
back at least to the 14th century, of which most is before 1390. It
seems more likely, statistically, that if there's a 14th-century
recipe, it's from before 1390, rather than in the ensuing eleven
years.

Of course, that's not intended as anything but speculation.

Regardless, it would seem to refute both English claims of having
developed lasagne significantly before the Italians, and Italian
claims that what the English developed (or acquired) was not actually
lasagne. Whatever it was or was not, it appears to be nearly
identical to what the Italians were making at the same time and
calling lasagne.

In short, _everybody_ concerned just flunked history class.

Adamantius