[Sca-cooks] FW: paprika and spikenard

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 17:41:26 PDT 2003

--- Solwerlad <fitzlancelot at seznam.cz> wrote:

> DTD> There is a new book, that I am looking
> forward to reading, from the
> DTD>  Central  European University Press, The
> Long Journey of Gracia Mendes,
> DTD>  which ties to all of these subjects
> during 1510 to 1569.
> DTD>   The author is Marianna D.  Birnbaum,
> Professor Emeritus from,
> DTD>  wonder of wonders, UCLA.
>
> Do you mean it is a fiction work?  I'm really
> curious, just returned
> from the Medieval Studies gathering at CEU, but
> heard nothing of this
> new book of Marianna Birnbaum.
>

> Solwerlad

No.  It is a biography.  Here is the Library of
Congress citation.

Huette

100 1   Birnbaum, Marianna D.
245 14  The long journey of Gracia Mendes / by
Marianna D. Birnbaum.
260     Budapest ; New York : Central European
University Press, 2003.
263     0308
300     p. cm.
504     Includes bibliographical references and
505 0   chap. 1. Introducing the family -- chap.
2. A short history of the conversos -- chap. 3.
Life in sixteenth-century Antwerp -- chap. 4.
Gracia in Venice -- chap. 5. Gracia and Jewish
patronage in sixteenth-century Ferrara -- chap.
6. In business with Ragusa -- chap. 7. The
Ottoman Empire and the Jews.
        600 10  Nasi, Gracia, ca. 1510-1569.
        650  0  Marranos--Portugal--Biography.
        650  0  Jews--Portugal--Biography.
        650  0  Sephardim--Portugal--Biography.
        650  0  Jewish
women--Portugal--Biography.        650  0
Jews--Europe--Social conditions--16th century.

650  0  Jews--Europe--Economic conditions--16th
century.
651  0  Europe--Ethnic relations.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.