[Sca-cooks] Verjuice

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 18:47:09 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/18/2003 3:35:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wpmay at hotmail.com writes:

> Any suggestons or hints as I go forth to make some (hopefully)verjuice?
> My plan is simple,pick them wash them of,and squeeze them allowing the
> juices to collect in a bottle.

Verjuice is, I believe, slightly fermented.
I made some once from the unripe grapes gleaned from the ripe ones my husband
was using for wine.  On the instructions of a former member of this list,
Ras, I crushed them in a bowl, left the skins in, and covered it for a few days,
leaving it sitting on the counter.  It did ferment slightly, probably from
natural yeasts on the grape skins, and produced a very mild fruity sour flavor,
much like the best cider vinegars.
Certainly there are wineries which are also producing verjuice, and I believe
theirs are fermented as well.

Brangwayna