[Sca-cooks] question: Medieval restaurant at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 20 22:07:11 PDT 2003

Daniel replied to mw with:
> Stefan wrote:
> It also may be easier to get on as a merchant at such events as Gulf
> Wars or Estrella than at Pennsic. He could do those first, see how he
> likes it, and gradually move up to Pennsic as he learns more or if
> spaces are limited, as a Pennsic merchant space becomes available.
>  <<<<<
>
> Assuming the distance travelled to these events does not present a
> barrier I
> would think this an excellent suggestion if only in that it avoids the
> complication of conflicting with the Cooper's vested interests.
I was thinking mainly that new merchants might not be as limited at
Gulf Wars or Estrella as at Pennsic because there may be more room for
new merchants.
But you still have the problem with the camp owners not wanting
competition for their monopolies. For a long time, the Gulf Wars site
owners would not allow *any* outside food venders because they run a
lunchroom like meal service. Definitely very mundane and some of it is
good, some not very good or not very good price-wise. Being able to do
something at one war but not at the other may come down to whether the
site owners consider what you are doing a threat to their money making
or not.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com