[Sca-cooks] Getting the most use out of a particular food

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 14:09:57 PDT 2003

Compost - the sweetened, pickled, spiced, preserved mixture of
vegetables, fruit, and nuts - is both English and French - and
there'a a simpler German version as well - from the 14th and 15th
centuries.

My version is here:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/compost.html

I arrived at my recipe by comparing original recipes in Form of Curye
and Le Menagier and with much assistance from a number of people on
this very list.

It was a lot of work, but, then, i made a tad over 2 gallons of it.
The hardest part was paring and cutting up all 15 pounds of the
vegetables all alone. If you have even one person helping, that will
make it easier and much more pleasant. None of it is difficult, it
just takes several days to make and occupies some space in the
kitchen.

Anahita