[Sca-cooks] Origin of the "spice to hide taste of rotten meat" myth?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jul 24 12:37:29 PDT 2003

In the course of a Usenet discussion, someone raised the question of
when and where the belief that medievals used lots of spices to hide
the taste of rotten meat originated. The best I could do was point at
the reference to the strong stomachs of our ancestors in the
introduction to _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_, done about
1890--but that says nothing about rotten meat. I said I would put the
question to this list.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/