[Sca-cooks] 'kitchen fright'?

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 20:29:49 PDT 2003

  Many fine actors get stage fright throughout a long and busy career.
Some only really suffer for opening, some do 8 shows a week... many
develop rituals to get through it.

But one of the first things they learn is that it evaporates when they
get on a stage. The first line gets you over the hump - once it is
delivered, almost everyone is fine. So yes, they learn to be able to
deliver that line in their sleep... as you can deliver a dayboard. I
don't know when it evaporates for cooks - when you start actually
cooking is probably most likely. For actors, it's when they are *doing*
not just *preparing.*

Oh, yes, can you tell... I do work backstage. With professional actors.
The costumer is in the dressing room... You learn Care and Feeding - who
wants to talk, who doesn't, who needs to set out his makeup just so,
etc. Figure this out for yourself. A cup of tea or glass of water at the
right moment? Just so you stop a moment - yes, do remember to breathe...

And if I can help - I'll be there! Didn't say earlier, because I wasn't
sure... that's how my life goes (ask Brighid - I asked to help her once
and then bailed.)

AEllin