[Sca-cooks] Origin of the "spice to hide taste of rotten meat" myth?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 24 20:37:54 PDT 2003

In the introduction to Stere Hit Well (1972) which is an edition of Pepys
1047, a late 15th century English compliation, Delia Smith -- who apparently
despises medieval food, and certainly does not understand it -- says, after
commenting on the "totally indiscriminate use of spices and herbs" that "It
is commonly thought that such heavy seasoning was essential to disguise the
smell and flavour of decaying flesh." Now I don't know where *she* got the
idea, but it is definitely there, in print, in 1972.

Cynara